These are a specialty of my mom’s and I’ve mastered them too. We buy blueberries in bulk when they’re in season and freeze them so that we can make these year round.
Occasionally, I bring them in for the VanderCook students for a special treat to show them how much they’re appreciated. Homemade food of any kind is appreciated by college students!
I promised them I would share the recipe, so here goes… they’re better when you use real butter. 🙂
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Blend together the following ingredients:
- 3 c. flour
- 2 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 t. baking soda
- 1 stick oleo (softened, not melted)
- * remove one cup of mixture and set aside
3. Add the following ingredients:
1 t. vanilla
1 c. milk
4. Fold in 1 1/2 or 2 cups of blueberries by hand. Use an ice cream scoop and scoop into paper muffin cups.
5. Add 1 1/2 t. of melted butter to crumb mixture and mix with a fork. Spoon sparingly onto top of muffin batter.
6. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.