My littlest brother’s confession of faith is tonight, so yesterday was spent prepping food for a crowd and I wanted to try something different. I had a bachelorette party last night to go to as well, so I decided that I wanted to try my hand at spinach artichoke dip because it’s a crowd pleaser and I could use it for both.
Given that I’m on a health kick, and trying to keep it that way, I did alter the recipe to decrease some of the fat… but I don’t think this recipe is healthy by any stretch of the imagination. It’s just healthy… er. Healthier. Er… healthy? Whatever – it’s good.
SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP
- 1 8 oz. pkg. low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c. low-fat mayo
- 1/2 c. grated parmesan or romano cheese (by the “fancy” cheese in the store)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 10 oz. pkg. chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed until “dry”
- 1/4 c. low-fat shredded mozzarella
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix together and microwave until heated through. Crock pot would also be great for this. Can be reheated. Serve with crackers, party rye, or tortilla chips.